Saturday, August 26, 2006

I have enjoyed a very good week. Normally I would have had chemo this week but I received a reprieve so I could travel to Nebraska next week without being sick from the just completed treatment. I'll resume my chemo after I return from Omaha and then face another vigorous week of treatment.
Among the many notes and cards I have recently received, many of you have included Scripture quotations which either have been a special blessing to you or which you thought would have a special application for me. I have enjoyed and appreciated every one of them. One of our ladies who has recently gone through a serious illness took the time to share the verses to which she had constantly referred to keep her spirit up throughout her ordeal. I have used numerous Scriptures in the same way and have also used the many you have quoted to me in recent weeks. Here are a few of those treasured verses:
Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me! For my soul trusts in You; And in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, Until these calamities have passed by. I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me (Psalm 57:1-2).

I have set the LORD always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will rest in hope (Psalm 16:8-9).

Then shall your light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and your righteousness shall go before you; the glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard(Isaiah 58:8).

For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand, Saying to you, "Fear not, I will help you (Isaiah 41:13).

Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us (Ephesians 3:20).

Blessed is he who considers the poor; The LORD will deliver him in time of trouble (Psalm 41:1).

God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble (Psalm 46:1).

The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, And His ears are open to their cry. The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears, And delivers them out of all their troubles (Psalm 34:15, 17).

But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint (Isaiah 40:31).

And finally, I will add a verse that I have often thought about especially recently:

That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto His death (Philippians 3:10).

Most of us would like to have the power of his resurrection in our lives, but we want to avoid the second part of the verse, the fellowship of his sufferings; yet they are clearly linked together. The power of his resurrection and fellowship of his sufferings are part of being made conformable unto his death. which is dying to self that there may be more of Christ and his power operating and flowing in and through us. Ultimately, it is about having less of self and more of Christ with Christ having more of us by possessing and influencing every area of our lives.
Also, going through hardships truly creates understanding and empathy toward others who are going through similar hardships in their lives; hence the saying about Jesus that He is a high priest who can be touched with the feelings of our infirmities (Hebrews 4:15).
Lord willing, I will be preaching tomorrow morning on the subject, What it Means To Be Blessed. I can hardly wait to preach that message and see you all then.
Pastor Brown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

HTML Counter
Free Hit Counter