Saturday, August 05, 2006

It is 4:00 AM Saturday, August 5th. This week I completed my third series of treatments and they went very well. Additionally, I received the results of my latest PET scan which showed that the treatment is working well to kill the cancer which is of course, a very encouraging report. Now we have to finish the job! As my Doctor says, "Our goal isn't to get you to 3rd base, but to hit a home run." Later this month, I going to the University of Nebraska Medical Center for a consultation with a leading lymphoma expert who is on the cutting edge of treatment. He will review all of my records and reports and recommend any other measures that may be taken for maximum benefit. Although my treatment is going well, It will be good to insure that we are leaving no stone unturned in my recovery.
It was good to be in the pulpit last Sunday to finish the two-part message on, "Careful Instead of Carefull Living." I have appreciated the overwhelming response from so many about the benefit of those messages. Clearly, lots of us struggle with stress in our lives. Thank God we are "In Christ" and have "Christ in us" to give us His strength and help and the Bible to give us guidance for life's struggles and problems. I'm sorry that we ran out of some of the handouts at the information desk in the foyer. Although we printed a huge supply, so many wanted copies, we ran out in the second service. We have restocked the supply and should have plenty of copies for everyone of the several handouts for "Six Practices of Successful Families," and the two latest handouts on, "Careful Instead of Carefull Living."
Speaking of being in the pulpit, I was reminded of a story which I hope is never true of my preaching.
A country church help a potluck supper on opening night of a revival series. The guest speaker was invited to lead the food line, but he declined saying, " I can't eat a big meal before I preach. It detracts from my ability to deliver a good sermon."
Two hours later, several women were cleaning up the church kitchen, when one declared, "I believe that preacher might as well have ate his fill at suppertime."
I have so enjoyed your cards and notes. They have both touched and blessed me so much and your faithfulness in praying for me has been your greatest conmtribution to my strength and recovery. Thank you for caring and showing it.
Pastor Ed will be preaching tomorrow morning and Lord willing, I'll be preaching on August 20th and 27th.
Finally, I leave you with one of my favorite Scriptures and a couple of additional thoughts.
"For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope" (Jeremiah 29:11).
"An impossibility is something no one can do until someone does it."
"A hospital is a place to wind up people who are run down."
"Opportunity is something that knocks but doesn't turn the door handle."
And a little humorous one: "An optimist is a mail carrier who enjoys the view when treed by a dog."
Remember, "God is the God of the impossible."
Pastor Brown

1 Comments:

At 8/09/2006 11:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor Brown;
We pray for you & your Family everyday & night.
Thank You for the updates, we REALLY appreciate them, so we know how to pray. We will be praying for your trip to Neb. We pray that the Lord will guide you in His ways. Which reminds me of the verse in the Bible that says , Our ways are not His ways & His ways are not our ways. Isn't THAT the truth? We look forward to your teaching again on Aug. 20th
Love In Christ;

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

HTML Counter
Free Hit Counter