Saturday, July 15, 2006

It is 5:00 AM Saturday and I'm in my office/study at home providing this weekly update. I completed my second round of treatment yesterday and it went well. Having gone through the first round, I made some adjustments in diet, medicines, and schedule to better accomodate the process and it has been helpful. Other changes involve avoiding contagiously sick people (sometimes if we have staff sickness going around the church office, I go in early in the morning when no one is there and finish before everyone else arrives); minimizing stress as much as possible; and concentrating on getting through the treatment process with the attitude and focus of getting well. I look at each round of treatment as a round in a fight and know I need to prepare for it, then get through it and its bruises and prepare for the next round. I know I have four invaluable resources through this process: (1) The constant presence of the Great Physician, the Lord Jesus Christ, who promised He will never leave us nor forsake us and always understands our every feeling and circumstance, (2) The finest of medical care I could ever receive to pull me through this dark tunnel, over the boulders, and out into the light, (3) An incredibly supportive family who are always there when I need them. Barb, my faithful private duty nurse who is always "on call" in the Brown residence. Daughter Lori, who lives in Davenport and is on summer break from her teaching duties which enables her to join me during my chemo sessions to fellowship and enjoy some personal time together. She also sees that I get very regular visits with her daughter, Kaitlynn, which always brightens up any day. Daughter Cheryl who comes with her family periodically on weekends from Chicago and calls regularly to see if I need anything. Those visits with her three children, Maelynn, Ryan, and Brendan give me great joy and , of course, something to look forward to. Son Tim, comes from Morrison a couple times a week to take care of some of my chores, offer any assistance he can and enjoy some wonderful times of sharing and fellowship. (4) The strong encouragement and support from the finest church family I could ever have, all of you who pray for me, offer comforting support through your cards and uplifting notes and verses, and are regularly encouraging me in so many ways.
Again I say thanks to all of you. What more could anyone ask than to have a recovery team like that!
Well, I now have no hair - I'm as bald as a cue ball. If I walked around with a lollipop in my mouth, I could pass for Kojak or if I put a ring in my ear, I could pass for Mr. Clean. Wait till you see me in my new hat! Meantime I'm trying to decide between the Elvis wig and the Ted Koppel look for my new hairpiece - relax, I'm just kidding.
Pastor Tim is scheduled to speak tomorrow morning, Pastor Dan next week, then Lord willing, I'll speak the next Sunday.
With much love and appreciation,
Pastor Brown

8 Comments:

At 7/16/2006 7:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always teaching, helping, loving and leading his sheep. You are the very best. I thank God for you and pray for you throughout each and every day. God bless you.

 
At 7/16/2006 1:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

im glad your first treatment went very well. i hope you continue to keep on feeling better. I know God is watching over you every step of the way and he always will. You are always in my prayers day and night and i will continue to be. You are the best preacher we know. You have shown us the way of life and the amazing things God has done for us we thank you so much for that. Look forward to hear you preach in 2 weeks i know it will be a great message. God bless you always and always.
Love,
The black family

 
At 7/17/2006 11:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor,
This little space just isn't big enough to express what a wonder works that Christ has done in you. Thank you for sharing your love and concern for all others durning your time of treatment. You are a blessing to all of us.

The Fergusons

 
At 7/18/2006 3:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor Brown
Wow, Kojack in our services, we want your autograph!! hahahahahaha
Seriously, we don't care if you have hair or not, all we care about is You bringing God's word to us. The Bible says, Beautiful are the feet of those who bring God's word to "His People." You are BEAUTIFUL to us , hair or NO hair! We can't wait to see your new hat. We pray for you AND Your Family EVERYDAY.
Love In Christ; Duane & Cynthia Hunsinger & Family

 
At 7/19/2006 1:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We think you can pull off the no hair part wonderfully. It has the side benefitof not having your hair blow when you "put the pedal to the metal. May God bless and heal you is our continual prayer.

-The Baxa family

 
At 7/20/2006 10:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now is the time to let others minister to you. You have and do so much for everyone at Edgewood and many others who hear your messages over the internet. There are many other church families in the Quad Cities praying for you and for your strength as you deal with the treatments and not being able to do everything you want to. Our family wants to encourge you by reminding you are loved and are being prayed for by many.

 
At 7/23/2006 8:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We dont care if you look like Kojack,
Yul Brenner, Mr clean, Or my favorite bald guy Lex Luther.
You are still our Hairo.
You may have lost your hair but havent lost your sense of humor.

 
At 7/25/2006 8:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what they say.
Hair today. Gone tomorrow.
They say the Lord even has the hair on your head counted. You just made his job easier.

Enough of the bald jokes. Get well soon. I cant wait till you talk about the current events in the middle East.Its so fascinating when you explain it all.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

HTML Counter
Free Hit Counter