Saturday, July 22, 2006

Good Morning
It is Saturday, July 22nd. This is the end of the second week following my second treatment, a precarious week characterized by low white blood cell counts, tiredness, and occasionally a little wooziness (now there's a technical medical term for you). Again the meds are controlling nausea and you learn to adjust to the other complications like pacing yourself and not overtaxing your energy levels for the tiredness, avoiding pathogens (germs) whenever possible (boy you should see me run when someone sneezes or coughs), and standing and moving slowly to handle the orthostatic hypotension (wooziness). All things considered, it has not been too bad a week and I, as always, have much for which to be thankful. Although my daughters, Lori and Cheryl, and their families have been on vacation together in Florida for the last week or so, and I've missed them much, I've appreciated the many e-mails, pictures, and phone calls from them while they have been gone. I certainly eagerly anticipate their return on Monday. Tim came last night to finish a couple of chores for me and we talked and watched a movie (comedy) together which is always enjoyable. Barb again faithfully fulfilled her role as my private-duty nurse, but her overtime pay is killing me (how much bowing and scraping can one stand). I especially appreciate that many of you at Edgewood have shared your faithful prayers with me and mentioned that you have added me to other's prayer lists be they friends, churches, or other groups. Again the cards, notes, and words of encouragement have been so important.
I have chosen the book of Philippians as my focus during this ordeal. I read it over and over, claim its many promises, attempt to follow its many principles, and turn its words of wisdom into prayers and personal petitions. It has proven to be an invaluable asset because its theme is how to have joy inspite of difficult circumstances. Its continuing themes of God working inspite of and through our circumstances, the example of Christ through His suffering, the constant need for attitude adjustment to see things from God's perspective instead of our own narrow focus, the importance of turning our worries into expressions of concern and prayer requests to God, and the all important principle of always practicing positive, Christ-like thinking have been powerful helps daily to me. I remember that WITH MAN ALONE many things are impossible, but WITH GOD all things are possible (Matthew 19:26).
Pastor Dan will be speaking Sunday in both morning services and I still plan, Lord willing, to speak a week from Sunday on Philippians chapter four, part two of the message, "Careful Instead of Care-full Living."
Please continue to pray for my healing, strength, and complication-free recovery.
In Christ,
Pastor Brown
P.S. I wrote my column yesterday for the next issue of the Edgewwod newspaper. It should be delivered to your door within the next 2-3 weeks. Make sure you read that article, I think you will enjoy it. I know I sure enjoyed writing it.

4 Comments:

At 7/22/2006 12:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor Brown-
We are praying for you!

 
At 7/23/2006 1:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You so much for the encouraging words you posted yesterday,Sat,July22,2006, on Philip.
Duane & I continue to pray for you everyday AND night & whenever the Lord puts you in our minds, (you know how that goes). When the Lord says PRAY,YOU PRAY,no matter what!
Love In Christ;

 
At 7/23/2006 5:13 PM , Blogger Andi said...

"Sugarcat" in Texas is also praying for you...her son was supposed to be a vegetable according to doctors & she believes strongly that his recovery was because of prayer.

Also a woman that I met while working is praying for you. She said something or other to me & I thanked her for encouraging me. Then she qouted a passage about encouragement from the book of Timothy to me, that is when I told her that my favorite saint was Saint Barnabas ("The Encourager").
I asked her to prayer about your cancer & she thanked me profusely for telling her. Anyway, I don't know her name but she is praying for you & it was a surprising, pleasant encounter to have in an often secular world.

 
At 7/23/2006 7:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

rqdtHello Pastor Brown I am so glad that things are going okay and that you are having good days thank you for the enouraging updates and god is looking after you.With the help of the wonderful wife that god has given you we thank him. Well I'm certainly looking forward to the phiilipans study you are talking about doing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

HTML Counter
Free Hit Counter