Saturday, April 28, 2012

April 28th

Good morning on this Saturday, April 28th. Some people wonder why Easter is my favorite day of the year above Christmas, birthdays, and every other special day. Those of you who have been in the church for many years have heard my testimony, but many newer people have not. The Easter message not only established my faith but saved it as well. I was a brand new Christian who was so excited about being saved, I wanted to tell everybody I could that Jesus saves and how wonderful the fully-committed life to Christ really is. I had excitedly shared my faith with my father who was not only not a believer, but was an avid anti-bible anti-Christian skeptic as well. He was a man who had extensive knowledge of science, world religions (including Christianity which he rejected), history, and most other topics. He responded by attacking my new-found faith and giving me argument after argument against Christ and Christianity. He gave me all the reasons why he was not, nor ever would be, a Christian and told me my faith was invalid and even foolish. His vast knowledge was far greater than mine as a 19 year old.

I remember going to the front porch of our house and sitting in the darkness deeply demoralized after an intellectual drubbing at his hand. I also remember crying out to God for answers and help and went to bed that night deeply troubled and agonized. The next day was Easter Sunday and I went to church with a heavy heart. But God was about to change all that with a truth that would provide assurance of my faith that would last for a lifetime. My pastor preached on the resurrection that morning. He talked about how the founders of all of the other world religions were dead and remained dead, but Christ was different because He alone had been raised from the dead, a living Savior. He proved He was the Son of God by His resurrection verified by many infallible proofs. It was a dynamic, defining, faith-producing moment which changed my life and elevated my faith and assurance to a new level. That was 49 years ago last Easter and my life and ministry stand testimony to the strength of that experience. I remember hurrying home to further discuss my faith and the proofs of the resurrection with my father. That discussion was to be the first of many over the next 12 years which eventually resulted in my father becoming a devoted Christian. That is why Easter is my favorite day of the year!

Tomorrow's sermon is another from the book of Ephesians. I hope to see you in church.
Mel Brown

HTML Counter
Free Hit Counter