Saturday, March 24, 2012

Good morning on this Saturday, March 24th. Have you ever wondered what goes into the preparation of a sermon? Occasionally someone asks me that question, so I thought I would share the process for those of you who are curious. First, comes seeking the Lord's direction for what to preach whether a series, topic, text, or book of the Bible to expound. After receiving that guidance comes the following steps.
(1) Carefully reading and rereading the text usually in various translations.
(2) Studying the exact meaning of the text in Greek (New Testament) or Hebrew (Old Testament). Knowing the exact meaning and usage of the words of a text provides clearer understanding of the meaning and application of the text.
(3) Reading a series of commentaries to get other Bible expositor's teaching about the text/subject. Usually I like to read about a dozen commentaries found in my library or online sites like "Studylight.com" or using software on my computer like the "Online Bible."
(4) I read other pastor's sermons on the text or topic. Other's sermons provide thoughts, illustrations and applications besides my own.
(5) Consulting sites providing illustrations on various Biblical topics and texts to find the right illustrations for the message. Scripture says that Jesus never spoke without telling a story and you can't improve on Jesus' methodology. Spurgeon said, "Illustrations in sermons are like windows which let the light in." After I sift through the illustrations I choose the best ones to use, those which are likely to have the greatest impact.
(6) Next comes putting it all together with the final outline of the sermon, and determining exactly what God wants me to say in the message. Included in the message's final form is always INTERPRETATION (what the text means), ILLUSTRATION (illustrating the text), APPLICATION (applying the text to people's lives), and EXHORTATION (challenging folks to put it into practice).
(7) Finally, it involves going over the message, making any changes, then asking God to put His words in my mouth, His thoughts in my mind, and the fullness of His Spirit in my Heart.
The final step is the delivery of the message. Occasionally God leads in a different direction and the message needs to be revised or even another message preached instead. If sermons/teaching are like bread from God's oven, it ought to be fresh and warm. The preparation and delivery are up to me, but the moving in people's hearts and lives is up to God. I need to prepare my heart but God must prepare the hearts of the hearers.
Charles Haddon Spurgeon, often called the "prince of preachers" got it right when he said, "I don't want people to leave the church saying 'what a great preacher but rather saying what a great Savior.'"  
Tomorrow's sermon is from Ephesian's 4, The Walk of the Believer.
I hope I'll see you there.
Mel Brown

HTML Counter
Free Hit Counter