Saturday, February 11, 2012

Good morning on this Saturday, February 11th. I returned from Florida on Friday of last week where I visited my 97 year old mother-in-law (who is doing wonderfully well after some serious health setbacks) and afterward attended a pastor's conference in Jacksonville. It was a great getaway but I returned to a cache of nearly 800 e-mails waiting for me. I mention this only so that those of you who have contacted me by e-mail while I was gone will be patient in waiting for me to respond as I sort through them all.
During the last week the Capitol and rest of the country has been roiled by the controversy of the government forcing religious institutions except churches to pay for contraception for its employees. A firestorm of protest followed, especially among Catholics, because of the oppositional teaching of that denomination to this practice. Millions of Americans saw this issue as the government forcing religious organizations and its followers to act against their religious convictions. There was considerable concern that if the government could force Catholic organizations to go against their convictions, they could attempt to force any other to do the same. Contraception is not the ultimate issue here but rather government dictating religious practices. My personal conviction as a Christian and a Baptist is KEEP THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF THE AFFAIRS OF THE CHURCH. That has been a Baptist conviction from its inception, the separation of church and state. I have stood by this conviction all of my Christian life and have opposed all attempts of the government to intrude into church teachings and practices. If they can force the Catholics to go against their doctrine and convictions, they can force other churches to go against theirs INCLUDING OURS. This cannot and must not ever be allowed. Our future religious liberty is potentially at stake. We are carefully watching how this issue will play out and hope it will be resolved quickly in favor of religious liberty.
Tomorrow's sermon is from the book of Ephesians and is entitled, The Trinity's Trinity In Salvation. I hope to see you in the services tomorrow.
Mel Brown

HTML Counter
Free Hit Counter