Saturday, October 09, 2010

Good morning on this Saturday, October 9th. For the last several years my daughter Cheryl has taken her sister, Lori, and my wife, Barb, on a get-away trip. It is a time for the ladies in the family to have a special time of fun and fellowship together. Today is the day they return home and I have been busy earlier this morning straightening up the house in preparation for their homecoming. As I was vacuuming, sorting and cleaning, I was reminded of the importance of keeping our spiritual house in order. In 1 John 1:9, God addresses this issue with these words, "If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us of all unrighteousness." God is saying that we as believers need to do a regular check of our lives to find the areas (sins) which are offensive to God and ultimately damaging to our lives (all sin is ultimately damaging to us - there is pleasure in sin for a season but when the reaping starts the damage is felt). The Psalmist said, "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting" (Psalm 139:23-24). Once we find the areas of our lives which require attention, we are to confess and forsake that attitude, action, habit or omission which is sinful. In fact God tells us that this should be a constant occurrence in our lives. Then we will have close fellowship with God with the joy of our salvation is full force. How long has it been since you have experienced a spiritual housecleaning? If every day you ask the Lord to search you, know your heart and thoughts, try you and reveal any sinful way in you, God will show you those things which need confession. When you do you will be clean, refreshed and right.
Tomorrow's sermon is an exposition of Psalm 32. I hope you'll be there.
Mel Brown

HTML Counter
Free Hit Counter