Saturday, October 20, 2012

Good morning on this Saturday, October 20th. In preparation for my 44th Anniversary/Retirement  Dinner, November 8th, the planning committee asked my wife to provide a series of pictures which depict our family and ministry at Edgewood throughout the years. Barb has spent time with our daughter Lori, going through albums and boxes of pictures to select the ideal representative photos, and I would sneak some peeks at some of them throughout the process. Wow, what changes have occurred throughout these 44 years. The three biggest changes for me have been hair, weight, and wrinkles! What happened to all that thick black curly hair, that slim trim figure and that smooth tight skin - they have truly vanished away. When I came to Edgewood as a young 25 year old guy I weighed 155 lbs. and now, lets put it diplomatically, that was a few pounds ago. I used to tell folks that I was so skinny in those days that I only had one stripe on my pajamas and when I would stick out my tongue and turn sideways, people mistook me for a zipper. I've lost so much hair throughout these years my head looks more like a cue ball than a Chia Pet. As for the wrinkles, lets just say I could be a good candidate for one of Debbie Boone's Lifestyle Lifts.  But I would not turn back the clock or change my life for all the tea in China because they have helped me to become the person I am today and have been part of fulfilling the will of God for my life.

The struggles have produced patience because tribulation produces patience (Romans 5:3), the grey hair has produced knowledge and wisdom in the pursuit of righteousness (Proverbs 16:31), the sicknesses have produced empathy and compassion (Zechariah 7:8-10) and the heartaches have produced appreciation  and joy (Ecclesiastes 7:14). Through every circumstance the Lord has been my companion, seen me through and given grace sufficient to meet all my needs. As He said, "... My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me (2 Corinthians 12:9).

It is so comforting that through all the changes the years bring, God is unchanging (Malachi 3:6) and Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8).

Tomorrow's special speaker will be the new president of Baptist Bible College, Mark Milioni. I hope you'll be there to hear his message.
Mel Brown

HTML Counter
Free Hit Counter