Saturday, December 10, 2011

Good morning on this Saturday, December 10th. Every Christmas season at my request, my daughters make an appointment to have a series of group pictures taken of all of my grandchildren. They carefully coordinate the colors of their outfits and head off to the photographers for a sitting. They then carefully review the many poses taken and select the ones they are going to purchase, including the large portrait they intend to give to me as a Christmas present. I then place one in my office at church and one in my office at home. All through the year I continually enjoy those pictures, periodically looking at them as I work at my desk or computer. I confess that the pictures flood my heart and mind with warm feelings and memories each time I look them over. During the Christmas season there are many pictures of our Savior to warm our hearts and minds. The ubiquitous manger scenes remind us of His birth in humble surroundings in a stable and being placed in a manger which was a feeding trough for the animals. The Christmas lights which adorn both the inside and outside of many homes remind us that Jesus is the light of the world who came to light the way of every man. The Christmas carols remind us of all aspects of His coming as we sing words about His birth to beautiful and familiar melodies. The Christmas bread pudding reminds us that He is the Bread of Life. The gifts which we give and receive remind us that He is God's greatest gift to man and through Him the gift of eternal life. The gathering of family and friends at Christmas reminds us that through faith in Him we will gather in joyous celebration in Heaven together never to be separated again. On and on we could go with these reminders, but unbelievable as it may seem, many people miss them all and make Christmas just another holiday. May that not be true of any of us and may we see Christ in ALL of the signs of Christmas this year.
Tomorrow's sermon is another on the Incredible Christ.
I hope you'll be there.
Reminder - we'll have three great Christmas services this year and all will be the same: 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve and 10:00 a.m. on Christmas morning. I can hardly wait as I think of what's coming..
Mel Brown 

HTML Counter
Free Hit Counter