Saturday, March 13, 2010

Good morning on this Saturday, March 13th. An interesting thing happened on my way to writing this blog today. I was in the process of booting up my computer shortly after 7:00 a.m. this morning when I heard a loud boom and the power in my house went off. Shortly thereafter the trucks from MidAmerican Energy came rolling up to fix the problem. They soon determined that it was a serious problem which would require much of the day to repair. I had to revise my schedule to use a different computer at a different location to do my work and the whole process reminded me of an important lesson. We may make all of our plans but they can be forced to change in a moment's notice. I was also reminded how much we take for granted such as the availability of electricity to run our appliances, computers, furnaces, and lights. Our power outage brought about a conversation with my wife about her mother (she's 95 years old) growing up on a farm in Colorado. She read by kerosene lamp, plowed the fields with a horse- drawn single plow, heated the house with a wood stove, walked or rode a horse to get to where she was going, and studied in a one-room country school. My how far we have come in such a short time. I'm grateful for the many things which make our lives so much easier and better today, aren't you? We all have so much for which to be thankful and it is so easy to take so much for granted, isn't it? To God be the glory, great things, He has done! I'd rather live today than any time since the creation of man, wouldn't you?
Tomorrow's sermon is The Most Destructive Force In Relationships.
I'll hope to see you there.
Mel Brown

HTML Counter
Free Hit Counter