Saturday, July 02, 2011

Good morning on this Saturday, July 2nd. Earlier this week I returned from a vacation in Ocean City, Maryland. As my wife and I sat behind our grandchildren during a fire fighter's parade, Barb hollered to the kids to be sure to notice the huge hook and ladder fire truck as it passed on the street. A young lady who was standing near the children approached us and asked if we were speaking to her. After we explained that the comment was intended for our grandchildren who were next to her, she mentioned she was a local reporter covering the parade for her newspaper and asked if she could interview us. We answered all of her questions and she requested to take our picture to accompany her article. Barb and I chuckled as we recounted how she could mistakenly think Barb was shouting her commentary about the parade to a perfect stranger like her. The fire fighter's parade was a huge event in Ocean City that week; it lasted nearly three hours and featured miles and miles of equipment from all over the Easter Shore. As I was watching the assortment of different fire fighting vehicles and personnel, I was struck by how many were designated as "volunteer" firefighters. Many municipalities could not do the job of protecting from fires without this cadre of volunteers who are willing to sacrifice and serve. My mind then switched to a parade of godly volunteers who sacrifice and serve our Lord in so many ways in our church. I found myself thanking God for the many hundreds of voluntary workers who serve on the boards and committees, teach classes, assist with the children, and serve in various other ways in our 70 plus ministries at Edgewood. I close this blog with a heartfelt "thank you" to all of our people who give so much and serve so well in God's volunteer fire force who are constantly battling the fiery arrows of the wicked one (Ephesians 6:16). Well done good and faithful servants (Matthew 25:21).
Tomorrow's sermon is a special 4th of July weekend message. I hope you'll be there.
Mel Brown

HTML Counter
Free Hit Counter