Saturday, June 14, 2008

Good morning on this Saturday, the day before Father's Day. Tomorrow will be a special day at Edgewood as we honor our many fathers. We'll be giving a gift to some of our oldest dads, recognizing each and every father present and having a couple of video tributes for our dads. My own father has been gone for many years, but his influence on me continues every day of my life. Never underestimate the power of the example and influence of a decent dad in a child's life. Sometimes when I'm doing something around the house, I'll glance at a mirror in the room and think, "well hello Floyd" because my posture or facial expression or mannerism is so much like his. He taught me honesty, decency and morality. He unconditionally loved me, even remaining in a deeply troubled marriage for the sake of my brothers and me because we asked him not to leave us. He was generous and caring and always so proud of our good deeds. He gave me a love of knowledge and of good books and an example as a grandfather to my children which I try to faithfully emulate with grandchildren every day of my life. I am so glad that I had the privilege of giving something which so very valuable to him - a personal relationship with Jesus Christ through his acceptance of the gospel. I will never forget his sitting in the church services, praying with the family at mealtime, reading and studying his Bible, and giving a personal testimony about what the Lord had done for him in a mid-week service. I had faithfully prayed for his salvation for so many many years without results until I virtually lost hope, but God broke through in his life and one Sunday evening, he committed his life to Christ and never looked back. So if you are praying for a loved one, don't give up, God is at work even when you think not. To all of you fathers who are reading - happy Father's Day to you. May you have a wonderful Father's Day tomorrow. Carpe Diem (seize the day)
Tomorrow's message is the third in our prophecy update series. I hope to see you there. Because of Father's Day, there will be no evening service tomorrow night.
Mel Brown

HTML Counter
Free Hit Counter